Thursday 18 March 2010

Rob Roy Valley

On my last full day in the South Island I took a minibus about an hour out of Wanaka to Raspberry Flat on the West Matukituki River. Along the way there were views to Mt Aspiring:


It's a relatively easy walk across the river and up through the bush to the glacier:




Not sure what Rob Roy would have made of it all. Apparently the mountain and glacier were named for him by some early Scottish settlers.



So my last tramp of this trip:





Back in Wellington now for a week before I fly home. Hope you have had fun tramping with me!
Sorley

1 comment:

  1. We met a guy on Mt. Iron that told us about this tramp on Rob Roy. We headed up to the trail head in a rental car and reached where the road was washed out and the water was pretty deep in the stream. It looked very rainy that day so we decided not to take a chance and not make it through the water or get stuck on the other side. It really looks beautiful. Sorry we missed it.

    ReplyDelete